Sunday, May 22, 2011

It's Not Always the Big Things

I absolutely adore the book Do Hard Things. Alex and Brett Harris, twin brothers from a huge family (with brother Josh Harris being a big Chastity/purity speaker), just hit the nail on the head explaining how our Generation needs to rise up to higher moral standards and start living for God more. The book was full of great life lessons and stories of teens who have joined the Rebelution Challenge (the Harris Bros. Movement) and are making a difference. The one that sticks out most in my mind is a guy named Zach Hunter. He's this amazing guy (probably in his mid-20's by now) who at the extremely young age of twelve started nonprofit Loose Change to Loosen Chains, an organization centered on ending (or at least working to) modern-day slavery. At the age of only 16, he closed a concert for THE David Crowder Band with a talk on his outreach. Now, I'm going to have an opportunity to talk about Speaking for the Silent (my orphan ministry) this Summer in front of about 300 people, and just that scares the living tar out of me. I can't imagine talking in front of thousands! But my point is this: Zach hit the top notch and is changing the world, and he started out REALLY young.

I really LOVED reading those chapters. Chapters about teens who just got God's call for them and were jump-starting a new and improved generation of Jesus Lovers. It was awesome. But there was one chapter in the book I kind of just breezed by: one on taking joy in the little things in life. At the time I read the book, I was just trying to be a "good person" and showcase my Savior in the life I was living. So I don't think I realized the truly relevance of what it means to take joy in the "little things."

Now when I say little things, I don't mean the difference between raising 5 dollars or 5,000. I mean the difference between doing really meaningful things like fund raising, and taking the time to wash the dishes or watch your little siblings. It's not always easy or fun to take joy in dish-washing, right?

In a lot of ways, Speaking for the Silent has sky-rocketed beyond my highest expectations. Close to 100 combined followers between our Facebook and Blogger Feeds. Multiple caring advocates who I've connected with through it. I even have two adoptive families (one who's home and one who's just starting) who want to talk to me and get to know me. I LOVE the days when my entire schedule is blown because I get busy doing exciting things for/with/about these families. It gives me a feeling of purpose, like I'm really doing the work Jesus did on the Streets in Jerusalem and successfully accomplishing the mission I feel He gave me.

Then there are the days when things are kind of quieter. Schoolwork is all I have to do for the day. Honestly, I don't mind school that much. It's learning new things, right?

My "crux," though, if that's what you want to call it, is I absolutely despise Algebra. To get it done right I need a good hour or two, and it just drags. All I can think of is what I could be doing to further the cause I love. I could be out shooting pictures for some relaxation time. I honestly go from feeling like I am really making a difference to the feeling like I'm sitting around doing zip on the importance-o-meter. Honestly.

A little while back I heard Steven Curtis Chapman's new song, "Do Everything." The basis of the song is this: No matter what you're doing, so long as you do it for God's Glory it's worth it. As I listened, I realized that yes, doing Mission Work has for more relevance to me than learning how to undo 2nd-degree equations. But the little things are just as important as the big things, and they do matter, even if its only a little. I may not enjoy algebra, but I need it to pass High School, so I can go to College and get the tools I need to help these kids. And I truly believe that this principle can apply for just about any area if life.

So the next time you're doing some task you may not think is important, think again. You'd be surprised how it can wrap around and give glory to God in ways you'd never expect. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for putting things in a new perspective, Caleb!

    Was just looking at your profile.. "Because Larry likes duckies better"! You are hilarious! :D

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete