Sunday, January 16, 2011

Little Memories

There are things you remember in life: the first time you road a two-wheeler without any help. The first time you swam. The first time you got behind the wheel of a car. Your Wedding Day. Your first little Child.

While I haven't experienced a lot of these yet (much to the comfort of my parents :D) Some stand out for me personally. I'll always remember the first time I met Addisu in Summer '09. That summer is chock full of swinging on swings with him, playing outside, and blowing lots and lots of bubbles. Camp Veritas '08, my first week away from home by myself, was a huge wing-spreader (figuratively speaking). I remember the first night I had my tiny little compact camera. After saving up for months, I had saved up the money I needed to buy a little camera. That got me pictures on lots of fun times. Getting my big camera this fall was pretty exciting too.

But none will ever top my mission/adoption trip this winter. There are days where I'll just sit and think about all of the fun times, all of the tough times, all of the great people we met, and just how amazing it all really was. God had His eye on us the whole time, and He kept us safe on our foreign adventure.

But my memories don't end at "Oh, that was nice." It goes so far beyond that. Even with my sheltered, split-second view of the way things are in Julia's orphanage, there were kids there that could break your heart. Some because they were just so strong and happy and healthy in the face of such hardship. Others because there was no one there that could really give them everything they needed.

I remember out wacky adventures with Valentin the Ukrainian driver on the highways out to the orphanage. I think I gained a new respect for my parent's moderate American driving. Things can be so different on the toher side of the world.

I still play back so much of it in my head. I remember  walking down the hallway to meet Julia for that first time, knowing she was there waiting for us. It still almost makes me cry watching the video from that amazing moment. I remember one my little buddy the bruiser escaped his crib room (which belonged to Julia as well) and came in to see what we were up to. I remember meeting Sonya. A little child so full of life and happiness. I am so bummed I forgot to take a picture with her. But that little picture I never imagined I'd take has made the rounds a little. It's showing up on numerous blogs. I feel like I'm accomplishing something.

Each night I pray God will show me how to work best for his glory with the talents I have. I long await that answer. But for now, I am happy to dwell on the memories.    

No comments:

Post a Comment