Thursday, January 20, 2011

Motivation

Guest Post by Tori Hook

Sometimes I'm an angry person. Sometimes I get mad that other people don't care about orphans the way I do. That other people can see God's children suffering and not do anything about it. That other people don't think about orphans at least once every half hour.

I think, how dare they? How can they not understand that the world is in a state of emergency! God's children are hungry, suffering, dying! And they can just be content to live their average American lives?

It infuriates me. But I have to remind myself where my motivation comes from. I do not care for orphans because other people care. Lots of times, they don't. I do not care for orphans because it's easy. It most certainly is not. I do not care for orphans because it makes me feel good. Sometimes it does, but sometimes it hurts more than anything I've ever experienced to care that much.

I care for orphans because they're worth it. I care for orphans because I've been called to fight for those who cannot fight for themselves, to speak for those who cannot speak for themselves. I've been called to rescue God's forgotten children. I care for orphans because God first cared for me. And he expects me to do unto others as He has done unto me. Not out of any selfish or angry motivation, but because He first loved us when we were lost, dirty, and afraid, we go and love others who are just as lost, just as dirty, and just as afraid as we once were. Love will always be more effective than anger.

Tori, resident blogger at Shining City Teens, went on her first mission trip in Summer of 2010 to Comas, Peru, where the embers of a love for orphan care were lit into a blazing fire. Tori is planning to go back again this summer, as well as hopefully visiting Maria's Big House of Hope in Luoyang, China, an orphan facility run by Christian organization, Show Hope. Tori also participates in the annual Reece's Rainbow Christmas Warrior Project, which hopes to raise $1,000 for each child who gets a warrior (Tori has raised over that every year). Tori's living testimony of passion for her calling from the Savior she loves is an awesome example of this blog's message to fight the cultural tide to live for Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment