Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Perspective

I'm going to Eastern Europe in 2 months. I can't believe it. What will it be like? What will Jenny think of our family? What will all the travelling be like? How long will I be there for? How will Jenny react to being taken out of the orphanage? So many questions, so much to ponder. I really have no idea where to start. There are so many things I'd LOVE to know right now.

Lately I've been reading the Stumbo Family Story Blog. Mrs. Stumbo has certainly done her fair share of learning about and advocating for Down syndrome. Her daughter Nichole has Down's and their little girl Nina that they adopted a couple months ago has CP. Mrs. Stumbo always has a great Youtube clip or article on Down Syndrome that it really is very informative to read her blog. I've really learned a lot about what things will be like once Jenny's home.

When I was talking to a friend last night who has a sibling with Down's. She said she was so excited to see how our lives would change once Jenny's home. Excited for change? Don't get me wrong, I'm more than excited to embark on this adventure, but I think I wouldn't mind fast forwarding that crazy packing, unpacking, going to embassies, flying home, and re-adjusting from Jet Lag. But then as I was reading a couple slightly older posts of Mrs. Stumbo's I started to see how amazing that transition period will be. She had posted multiple stories from parents who had kids with DS and how they had changed their lives. They were describing how positive that change can be. How AMAZING it really is. The fact that these kids can transform you, instead of vice-a-versa. There is so much we can learn from them.

Now I'm even more excited than before! I can't wait for this change! I'm so ready for all the craziness, no matter how nutsy it gets! I guess you'd call it... perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment