Thursday, October 28, 2010

Coming into Focus- and Savoring our Fortune

Well , it's hard to believe its only been 3 days since I last posted. It feels like its been a month. My life feels like it's been turned on its head (in a good way).  Why, you ask? Well, for those who aren't regularly on my family's adoption blog, my parents are expected to be in Eastern Europe by the 22nd of November. This means that packing, provisions, plane tickets, all that spiel needs to be in place in what is really a short amount of time. Throughout this, though, I've been messing around some more with my Dad's old SLR. I killed my first role of film within about 3 hours of usage, and my Mom bought me a 4-pack to last me a while. Most of the time, though, it's less of actually taking pictures and more of figuring out settings and whatnot. I LOVE to play around with the manual zoom and focus (its that part my hand with the watch is supporting). This camera from what I've seen of my Dad's old pictures is pretty sharp. You can get tons of great details in perfect focus and have a good picture altogether. But sometimes, it's better to get a lot of smaller pictures to capture just how beautiful it all is. That way you can enjoy your pictures more because they have more detail.  That can take some serious work though. Getting perfect focus when the camera is zoomed up is tough. Sometimes you literally have to brush the focus lense with your fingers to get that little green "take your picture" light to flash. 

I find very often it's a similar deal with God. It would be sooo much easier to just get a grand overview of everything and move on. There are so many questions about my future I have for God it would be nice sometimes to get a big, general answer in stead of another "for now" answer. But God didn't make us to get all the answers. Sometimes we (metaphorically) have to zoom in and focus on the here and now. Getting a clearer, more detailed view of today could be more wirth it then getting an wider view of today and tomorrow. I find once I'm focuseed in though, everything is much more happy and enjoyable then trying to figure out my whole life. I get more of a kick out of things like this:
(Yes, that is a vanilla ice cream mustache on my messy marvin little brother)


I tend to do funny things like buy this:

  (I triple dog dare you not to crack up at that Christmas Story T-shirt :D)


In other words, I try to savor the fortune the Heavenly Father has given us in each day. I think there are so many moments to relish in the second we're living; We're in a safe country being protected by brave men and women overseas. We have causes that need fighting for. Today is a new day.

"So breath it in, and breath it out,
and listen to your heart beat.
There's a wonder in the here and now!
It's right there in front of you,
and I don't want you to miss
the miracle of the moment.

Steven Curtis Chapman "Miracle of the Moment" 

No comments:

Post a Comment