Friday, September 24, 2010

"Cause' All I Want Is To be In the Light"


Well, my readers, it has been a while indeed. Forgive what I think has been the biggest absence since my week @ Camp Veritas. So here's the catch up:

Adoption World: Woo Hoo! We're finally approved by USCIS and our letter is off to Albany to be stated apostileed. After that it's Eastern Europe or Bust :D! Tomorrow is a little fundraiser for the adoption at a local community day selling some of those trendy rubber bracelets (That'll get coverage here, don't worry :) ).

Otherwise,  I guess that's what's led me to blog tonight. I'm gonna say this right off. I LOVE my homeschooling program. It's probably one of the best educational experiences I've ever had. But it is a LOT of work. At the end of the day, I feel pretty drained. Blogging? I've sat in front of Office Word for so many hours typing things up my pupils are gonna dilate if I look at another Computer screen. So I end up reading some, muddling through my evening and night prayers and crashing directly afterward. I know,  it's just gonna take getting used to, but right now it certainly seems like a tiring week for the most part.

However, one thing keeps me going throughout my days; music. I LOVE music. I think I'd lose about half of my life if I lost music. I have it one most of the time unless I just feel too overstimulated and need some silence while I work. From Day to day, my musical hunches vary. But for almost every day this week, one song has stuck in my mind: In the Light by DC Talk.

To give you a little background on who they are (in case you don't know), DC Talk is one of those legends of music that transcended everything. They were christian (all the members were as well) artists, they were rappers, the were hip hoppers, they were rockers. Short-lived as their fame may have been, it garnered a couple Grammys and one (maybe two) certified Gold Records. While the band may have broken up, two of their three members have stood tall in the music world regardless: Tobymac, a guy  I majorly admire as a musician and a Christian, and Michael Tait, who just joined up with other well-known Christina Boy Band the Newsboys. Their music, however, has remained high among the memorables and is still pretty played. Their two biggest hits were Jesus Freak (trust me, its good) and In the Light (case in point).

A lot of work can sometimes get our minds off God. Even though I'm using a Catholic homeschooling program and I certainly have plenty of God-centered topics in my work, after a while it starts to just seem like work. I get to the point where when I think back on my day and what I let my work do to me, I really despise what  I see.

The Song Talks precisely about that. To be precise, the chorus goes; "What's going on inside of me? I despise my own behavior" It was a pretty solid statement as I started dwelling on the lyrics. IT jsut continued to echo me;

"This only serves to confirm my suspicions.
That I'm still a man in need of a Savior! I wanna be in the Light
As You are in the Light
I wanna shine like the stars in the heavens!
Oh, Lord be my Light and be my salvation
Cause all I want is to be in the Light
All I want is to be in the Light"

It was so true. I really wanted to be in the light keeping my mind on God as I worked. "Ora et Labora," or Pray and Work, as St. Benedict says.

The song is down in the playlist. Just scroll down and sink in the lyrics. Because I think we all want to be in the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment